2005-12-04

Punishing a Child

My wife and I have always agreed that spanking is necessary to proper development of a child. Lately however this has not been the case. Once my wife saw his cute little puppy-dog eyes looking back at her- well it was all over at that point. In my opinion we are having a problem with Proverbs 18:19 most.

After a bit of an argument about the subject, I hit the Bible hard (as in searching the Bible hard, I didn't actually "hit the Bible..."). I found a number of verses, mostly in Proverbs, about discipline. I also hit the web (again I searched the web, I didn't actually "hit" it...). I found a very good site with some more information. They referenced all the verses I had found and then had some more.

http://www.wholeperson-counseling.org/family/punish-c.html

Every point on that page has some pretty deep wisdom. If parents actually listened to the Bible on these points we would have a much stronger and honorable society today.

This is their main page on family-related issues:
http://www.wholeperson-counseling.org/family/marriage-family.html


Here are links to a few verses that I found particularly interesting:
Proverbs 13:24 A loving parent will discipline their child.
Proverbs 19:18 Do not wait to discipline your child.
Proverbs 22:6 The effects of proper discipline will last forever.
Proverbs 23 13-14 Withholding discipline can have drastic consequences.
Proverbs 29:15 Parents must discipline- children cannot raise themselves properly.
Proverbs 29:17 Proper discipline will provide a happier family. Not only the child, but the entire family.
Deuteronomy 6:7 Teach your child the ways of the Lord. Tech them constantly. This can and does include proper discipline (but of course is not limited to discipline).
Colossians 3:18-21 Very good wisdom for proper family dynamics.
Hebrews 12:11 The reason for proper discipline.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good stuff. I agree with you as to biblical discipline....

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home